Vagile
Red Quill
Red Quill
Profession: Fighter and Healerer
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

If I owned Clan Lord

Post by Vagile » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:47 pm

I would make the full editor a free download for any existing customer.

I would allow the player base to create snells to their hearts content and charge them a reasonable one time fee for attaching them to a separate world. Every player submitted-and-paid-for snell would be accessible from a variation of town square, Central Station -- walk into a hut and walk out into Player X's area. Player X's area would have a hut with teleporter to send characters back to the Central Station.

For argument's sake let's say $10 to submit an area. Areas must meet image density and size limits as warned by the editor. If some idiot doesn't mask their area and allows players to wander into the grey, that's the risk they assume and the risk assumed by any players entering Player Designed World. Same with any stupid thing they do - caveat emptor.

Charge a smaller fee for updates if players make changes to their area/s, say $5.

Someone would have to step up and be the Minister in Charge of submissions and attach the areas. Pay them to do so.

Allow all customers access to both Worlds and a choice which to log on to -- the Clan Lord game world or the player designed world.

Let players provide their own feedback as to which "mods" were cool and which sucked etc.

Any player who designs an area or areas deemed cool enough and balanced enough for the Clan Lord game world -- move the areas across and credit their Clan Lord account with whatever money they paid to develop their area/s.

Players spend an amazing amount of time designing houses, imagine what they'd do with whole areas.

Is any other company or game doing anything similar? Any damage done to the understanding of the mechanics of how the game world operated is offset (to my mind) by the renewed interest of making a permanent mark on the "real" game world and the opportunity to create something.

At first I would not allow access to scripts. If the idea worked and it took off, I'd open them as well. Keep the server but perhaps down the line keep in mind an offer to license it at the same rate Alchera is paying.

Clan Lord was radically innovative in its day. It isn't any more but it's still so much better than so many of the modern MMPORPGs. This could become a tool for people creating folios for entry into the game industry. It could provoke the creation of things no one has yet thought of. It's a chance to put CL back in radically innovative territory.

That's what I would do if I owned Clan Lord.
"Mikey, relax, smoke a bowl, let the anger inside escape." -- Stinkfist
"Don't listen to him Michael. Listen to more metal." -- Daimoth

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage

Post by Skirwan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:40 pm

Vagile for Mayor!
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

NB
Exile

Post by NB » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:49 pm

....in a perfect world.

=/

Hoggle
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Hoggle » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:14 pm

If I owned The Sentinel, I would fix this:

phpBB : Critical Error

Error obtaining user details

DEBUG MODE

SELECT * FROM phpbb_users WHERE user_id = -1

Line : 457
File : sessions.php

When folks tried to log out. ;)

-Hoggle

Hoggle
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Hoggle » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:18 pm

.. and snarkiness aside..

Great suggestion!

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:28 pm

Hoggle, I love you.

A paradigm shift, eh? Cool.
This sig pic removed by Vagile

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by noivad » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:07 pm

That's a great idea. So good that I can't think of any way to make it better.

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Fundin » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:18 pm

Nice ideas, i don't think many people would be able to add the scripting functions to area design though, area design is the easy bit, masking is a bit harder, adding the scipts etc. is usually done by GMs. Not meaning to point out a negative in those suggestions :)

(if i ran CL i would drop the price to say $2-3 a month, i think its paid for itself many times over by now, and the price has stayed the same since launch i think)
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Lorikeet » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:49 am

Fundin wrote:
(if i ran CL i would drop the price to say $2-3 a month, i think its paid for itself many times over by now, and the price has stayed the same since launch i think)
I don't understand how you can say it's paid for itself many times over. I know there are ongoing costs, and even a paid employee or two. I hope Joe's at least coming out even, and if he's able to make a little on it, all the better. The fact that the price has stayed the same for eight years is a plus and not a minus to me, since the cost of everything else has gone up.

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:00 am

Lorikeet wrote: I don't understand how you can say it's paid for itself many times over. I know there are ongoing costs, and even a paid employee or two. I hope Joe's at least coming out even, and if he's able to make a little on it, all the better. The fact that the price has stayed the same for eight years is a plus and not a minus to me, since the cost of everything else has gone up.
The cost of bandwidth (undoutedly the single biggest cost for CL) has gone down over the years, not up. You could prolly run CL off the service some people have at their houses now.

But dropping the cost would do nothing. Cost is not really an issue at this point in terms of people staying or not.

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Fundin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:09 am

Lorikeet wrote:
Fundin wrote:
I don't understand how you can say it's paid for itself many times over. I know there are ongoing costs, and even a paid employee or two. I hope Joe's at least coming out even, and if he's able to make a little on it, all the better. The fact that the price has stayed the same for eight years is a plus and not a minus to me, since the cost of everything else has gone up.
I would imagine a large amount of cash has been made over the years, server hosting, bandwidth etc. ain't that costly anymore as Mike said. Keeping paid employees etc. i'll agree could be costly, didn't think of that.

The fact the price has stayed the same sucks imo. Look at shadowbane, its free, runeqscape is free, guildwars has a one off fee etc. The comparison between say WoW and CL is vast but the cost isn't that different. I said it before, if a player looks at WoW then CL there is no competition, forget teh fact about community, gameplay et. 95% of people go on price and graphics initally and we can't compare. Im not saying Wow is better, im saying if you put them against each other you have a clear winner for most people.

CL, should have dropped it price to take into effect that its aged and still going but can't compete with the bigger games. All that said if DT need the $x per player to keep running fair enough. Dropping the costs right down might help population though, imo anyway.

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Fundin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:11 am

Michael wrote:But dropping the cost would do nothing. Cost is not really an issue at this point in terms of people staying or not.
Maybe, but i think we'd get a influx of players if it was free or $2-3 but they might be not what we're after, and with the loss of the main higher income it might have a detrimental effect...

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY

noivad
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by noivad » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:40 am

Fundin wrote: CL, should have dropped it price to take into effect that its aged and still going but can't compete with the bigger games. All that said if DT need the $x per player to keep running fair enough. Dropping the costs right down might help population though, imo anyway.
There's a good point: competition. A drop of a dollar or 2 a migth might make the difference between someone playing CL and WoW and just Playing WoW. Perhaps a poll is in order? 5,7,8,9,10. with yearly dropping to say $60-$72? Perhaps a special 6 month rate of say $42 for new sign ups?*

This should go hand in hand with CL advertising.

*of course I have no idea what it costs to run CL, so my numbers might be a bit low. I don't think DT is overcharging either.

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage

Post by Skirwan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:08 am

Fundin wrote:Nice ideas, i don't think many people would be able to add the scripting functions to area design though[...]
How many bored teenagers taught themselves HTML (and then JavaScript, and later ASP, PHP...) when the web first came on the scene?

You can either run Clan Lord as a service -- in which case you need to find developers and pay them, and hire folks to build a real billing system, and get an official customer service rep and an art coordinater and a sound guy and a project manager and a...

Or you can run Clan Lord as a platform. And the fact is, right now Clan Lord is already being run as a platform, just a severely closed one. And the one interesting pattern you notice in looking at the history of technology is that open platforms sometimes thrive, while closed platforms always stagnate and die.

But of course, there's no use. This has been said before, and it'll be said again. I'm increasingly of the opinion that nobody at DT will realize that something's gotta give until long after it's too late (if it's not too late already). On the positive side, WoW is great fun -- it's not an open platform either, of course, but at least Blizzard seems to understand that that makes it a service.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Yor
Exile

Post by Yor » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:57 am

Fundin wrote:The comparison between say WoW and CL is vast but the cost isn't that different.
I pay $80 a year for CL (best 80 bucks I spend every year). If I remember correctly I paid around $150 a year for WoW (Blizzard's site is down right now so I'm unable to confirm this). That's a big difference. Plus, Blizzard will be expecting people to pay another $50 for their "Burning Crusade" expansion. I don't recall ever paying anything for "expansions" like Noth, KI, GI, or Metz in CL. So CL is a GREAT deal IMO.

Of coarse I wouldn't complain if the price was lowered a bit. :)

Yor