Server rolled back to October 15th

Official proclamations from the gamemasters and message board admins.

Moderator: CL GMs

Slartibartfast
CL GM
CL GM

Server rolled back to October 15th

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:48 pm

Some unscrupulous players abused a bug that resulted in infinite coin gain. Those responsible were logged and will be punished.

Unfortunately, though, many of them decided to spread their ill-gotten gains throughout the community. Tracking down the extent of the cheaters will take a bit more time. In order to be sure we've caught all the cheaters, and to erase anything that was spread around, we reset back to a backup from about two days ago. We tried to find a way to not have to reset, but in reality we probably can't manage that, and not doing this might result in problems that would just require an even greater reset down the line. We decided it was best to act now and minimize any potential losses.

Yes, we know this sucks, and we're very sorry. It is safe to say we are all just as frustrated if not more so. While the source was a coding bug ultimately, and again we apologize for that, malicious bug abusers bring the entire game down and help no one. The disrespect shown for the volunteer GMs who have to fix this mess instead of working to improve the game, and all the players affected by it, is unacceptable and disgusting to me personally.

We've given everyone some experience to try to compensate for some of the lost time. You'll have it as soon as you log on. We know it won't exactly address every case, but everyone lost something and this was the best way to try to make it up to everyone.

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Re: Server rolled back to October 15th

Post by Ann » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:02 pm

Specifically, to 8:30 PM PDT (GMT-7) on the 15th, for those of you tracking logs.

Also, to compensate all the innocent players who were affected by this rollback, we've granted an experience bonus to everyone. You should have a few extra ranks' worth of experience waiting for you when you next log on.

Ann

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:36 am

I've gone through the logs on the Account Portal and re-applied all changes since Oct 15th evening. (I think.)

If I've missed anything, then...

1) You can log into your account under the effected account name (not your character name unless it's the same!) and just change anything in your profile and Apply or Update. It'll sync with the Clan Lord server and your account on the server will match that of the Portal.

2) Send me an email at eldongm (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll do the same as above on your behalf but with a longer delay. :)

I think I've taken care of the outstanding items, but just in case...
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:30 am

A few folks were inadvertently left out when experience was handed out after the roll-back. If you haven't already seen the experience come through, you should see it after the next update. We apologize for the oversight.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.